Let's make hexagon charm quilts! A charm quilt is a quilt in which no two fabrics are alike. (Read more about charm quilts here.) I'm not going to be working on a strict timeline, but we can keep each other motivated by sharing our progress and I'll offer hexagon tips and helpful links I find along the way.
- I've started a flickr group for the Hexagon Charm Quilt Piece-Along. Join and start sharing your photos! It's also a place where we can organize scrap swaps and discuss our hexagon addictions.
- Grab a piece-along button over there --> in the sidebar for your blog. Get someone else addicted!
- I'm making a throw sized quilt with one inch hexagons. For a 50 x 60" throw, I'll need 1,173 hexagons. How many hexagons will you need to make your throw sized quilt? Check below.
- I'm a designer by day, so I've made a couple of download pages that you might find helpful. Clicking on the images below will immediately begin the download from mediafire.com Google Groups. If you have trouble with the link or download, please let me know.
This is a sheet of "Easy Cut" one inch hexagons. I had been using the hexagon generator, but I found it cumbersome to cut out the nested hexagons. Using this sheet you can quickly cut your hexagons out in squares and then just snip off the corners.
If you use a paper cutter to cut out the squares first (along the dotted lines),
snipping the corners will go even faster!
The page above is for 1.5" hexagons. (Just click to download it.) With hexagons larger than 1.5", only a couple fit on a page, so it's easy to cut them out; just use the hexagon generator. With both sheets, ensure that your printer is set to print at 100% and check your scale before you cut ! You don't want to make some strange sized hexies, do you?
- Haven't made hexagons yet? I complied some helpful links in this post.
- Just for fun, I made some coloring pages. Print one out for the quilt you want to make and visually keep up with your progress.
Hummmm... I seem to have a long way to go.
Download links for the coloring sheets:
Lastly, I have one other request. This is my first quilt-along, so please be gentle with me. I've checked these numbers and downloads over and over to make sure that there are no mistakes, but alas, I'm human and it's very possible I've overlooked something. If you see anything that looks strange, please let me know and I will do my best to get it corrected as soon as possible. My email address is at the top of my sidebar.